For people who love to hate the bumpy commute on Highway 85, things are about to get a little better, Caltrans says.
But first they have to close off ramps and roadways overnight, in a project that will extend from April to July.
Most lane and ramp closures will begin at 8 p.m. and end before 5 a.m. on weekdays. On weekends, most closures will end by 10 a.m., according to a news release issued earlier this month by Caltrans spokesman Bernard Walik.
For the weekend of May 12-13, however, the closures are actually an hour earlier and an hour later, according to Caltrans' daily lane closure report made available to the media.
Lane and Ramp closures, Saturday through Sunday, May 12-13
Highway 85 Southbound:
- All three southbound lanes closed from the Hwy 101 junction to the Hwy 237 junction, 6 p.m. to noon, May 12-13
- All three southbound lanes closed from Hwy 237 to Stevens Creek Boulvard, 7 p.m. to 11 a.m. May 12-13
- Connector ramp closed from Hwy 85 to Hwy 237,
- Connector ramps closed to I-280, May 13, 1 to 8 a.m.
Highway 85 Northbound
- Fremont Avenue off-ramp closed 7 p.m. to 11 a.m. May 12 to 13
- Off-ramp to El Camino Real, May 12-13, 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. (unclear which direction on El Camino Real)
- Off-ramp to El Camino Real, May 12-13, 8 p.m. to 12 noon. (unclear which direction on El Camino Real)
- All lanes closed from Stevens Creek Boulevard to Hwy 237, May 12-13, 7 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- On-Ramp closed from Stevens Creek Boulevard to Hwy 85, May 13, midnight to 9 a.m.
- Connector ramp from Hwy 85 to Hwy 237, 1 to 8 a.m., May 13
- Connector ramps from Hwy 85 to Interstate 280, 1 to 8 a.m, May 13
The work performed includes grinding existing concrete and replace damaged slabs with rapid strength concrete, a type being used extensively on roadways now for its quick-curing characteristics that allow road surfaces to be operational in a few hours. The shoulders and ramps will get hot asphalt mix. Damaged guard rails are expected to be replaced, as well.
Click the "Keep me posted" button below for alerts when we write about this project.