For people who love to hate the bumpy commute on Highway 85, things are about to get a little better, Caltrans says.
But first they have to close off ramps and roadways overnight.
Most lane and ramp closures will begin at 8 p.m. and end before 5 a.m. on weekdays. On weekends, most closures will end by 10 a.m., according to a news release issued earlier this month by Caltrans spokesman Bernard Walik.
According to the Caltrans daily media lane closure report, however, those hours are longer by one hour.
Lane and Ramp closures, Saturday through Sunday, April 21-22
Highway 85 Southbound:
- All three southbound lanes closed from the Hwy 101 junction to the Hwy 237 junction, 6 p.m. to noon, April 21 to 22
- All three southbound lanes closed from the 237 junction to the I-280 junction, 7 p.m. to 11 a.m., April 21 to 22.
Highway 85 Northbound:
- Fremont Avenue off-ramp closed 7p.m. to 11 a.m. April 21 to 22
- Connector ramp to I-280 northbound closed, April 22, 1-6 p.m.
- All three lanes closed from the I-280 junction to the Highway 237 junction, 7 p.m. to 10 a.m. April 21 to 22
The work performed includes grinding existing concrete and replace damaged slabs with rapid strength concrete, a type being used extensively on roadways now for its quick-curing characteristics that allow road surfaces to be operational in a few hours. The shoulders and ramps will get hot asphalt mix. Damaged guard rails are expected to be replaced, as well.
Click the "Keep me posted" button below for alerts when we write about this project.